New superconducting magnets require the production and procurement of complex and challenging mechanical parts with very tight tolerances and based on various raw materials (alloyed steels, titanium, high purity copper and fibre charged polymers). Are you willing to take up these challenges? Are you well versed in preparing machine sequences for complex mechanical pieces as well as defining tooling, process and parameters to be used? Are you ready to take in charge magnet component engineering, fabrication and procurement follow-up? Are you willing to work in a multi-project environment having to fulfil different specifications and demands pushing technology frontiers? Join CERN's Magnets, Superconductors and Cryostats Group and leave your mark on the development of the superconducting magnets that will make the future of the LHC. CERN. Take part!
Les nouveaux aimants supraconducteurs nécessitent la production et l’achat de pièces mécaniques complexes et de très haute technologie, respectant des tolérances très étroites et produites à partir de différentes matières premières (acier allié, titane, cuivre extra-pur et polymères chargés en fibres). Vous voulez relever ces défis ? Vous êtes expert dans la préparation de séquences d’usinage de pièces mécaniques complexes, et dans le choix des outils, procédés et paramètres à utiliser ? Vous êtes prêt à prendre en charge le suivi de l’ingénierie, de la fabrication et de l'achat des composants des aimants ? Vous êtes prêt à travailler sur plusieurs projets supposant de satisfaire à des spécifications et à des contraintes diverses à la pointe de la technologie ? Rejoignez le groupe Aimants, cryostats et supraconducteurs au CERN et participez personnellement au développement des aimants supraconducteurs qui seront l'avenir du LHC. CERN. Take part!
Mechanical Technician in the Technology Department (TE), Magnets, Superconductors & Cryostats Group (MSC), Magnet Design and Technology Section (MDT). Mechanical work preparation and magnet component engineering.
The Magnets, Superconductors and Cryostats (MSC) Group of the Technology Department (TE) is in charge of the design, construction and maintenance of the magnets, superconductors and cryostats for the CERN accelerators.
You will join the MDT section in charge of :
- The definition of the LHC magnetic model and of the analysis of the performance of the LHC magnets;
- The development of new technologies for the construction of superconducting magnets;
- The design of new superconducting magnets;
- The construction of superconducting magnets models and prototypes.
Descrição da Função:
As a technician in the MDT section, you will:
- Prepare the manufacturing file: defining the appropriate process sequences for the manufacturing of mono- or multi-technological prototypes, in particular following up their execution in the section's workshop;
- Follow up the procurement of components, selecting the most efficient solutions for CERN and the projects (internal fabrication, fabrication in the CERN central workshop, external supply);
- Take care of the installation, maintenance and upgrade programs of the large special tooling used by the section (presses, ovens under vacuum, Ar, and O2 up to 900º C, winding machines, insulating machines, and other similar tooling);
- Be a key player in the engineering of superconducting magnets and their components needed for the upgrade of the LHC (i.e. as foreseen for the High-Luminosity LHC project) or for future projects of the organization. Engineering refers to the translation of the conceptual magnet design, developed in the section, into component detail design (including follow up of the preparation of manufacturing drawing folders) and into tooling design;
- Participate in the magnet assembly activities according to the need of the projects;
- Support our mechanical workshop, keeping the machining tools up to date and adapted to the section needs;
Later, according to the needs of the section, you could become responsible of the machining team, organising the work to obtain maximum quality and productivity.
- Higher (post-secondary) technical diploma in mechanical or electro-mechanical engineering, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in the machining of complex components and above all in the definition of machining strategy, techniques and parameters and/or the engineering of mechanical components and complex mechanical assemblies;
- Experience in the design of superconducting devices will be considered as an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Use and in depth knowledge of numerical control & conventional machine tools;
- Definition of manufacturing method, process, preparation, planning, drawing, and control;
- Commissioning & maintenance of electro-mechanical equipment;
- Precision assembly and construction;
- Good knowledge of technical drawings and ISO tolerancing, 3D and 2D technical drawing.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Solving problems: Being open to original ideas and creative options by which to address issues;
- Producing a range of innovative and workable solutions;
- Optimising resources: Effectively managing human and financial resources within shifting priorities to meet expected results on time, within budget and according to quality standards;
- Communicating effectively: Practising attentive listening and actively promoting mutual understanding;
- Negotiating effectively;
- Working in teams: Fostering a sense of team spirit;
- Building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships;
- Demonstrating flexibility: Readily adjusting plans and priorities to respond to changing circumstances;
- Building relationships: Treating individuals with respect; valuing differences in ideas, perspectives and culture.
The language competencies required for this post are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
- We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of five years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may be granted an indefinite contract;
- These functions require shift work and the participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays;
- These functions require interventions in radiation controlled areas and in underground installations.
Partilhe esta informação: